What’s Important to You in a Home?
Buying a house brings up many questions and ideas of what is important. Our checklist of questions should help you formulate well thought out wish list.
- How long do you plan to live there? The longer you plan to stay, the more life changes you’ll need to plan for.
- Do you have or plan to have kids? Consider schools, bedrooms, playroom, yard size, parks.
- Want a fixer? Do you have the time, money & commitment to see it through?
- Is a new home or older home best for you?
- Do you need to be near public transportation?
- Will you like or dislike having a Homeowners Association?
Finding a home with space to convert to living areas such as an attic or basement may solve future needs.
- Will parking for guests be necessary?
- Is a garage a must?
- Need a large yard or will maintenance overwhelm you?
- Is a pool or hot tub a plus or a minus?
- What home styles are ideal and which are a definite “no”?
- If you need a fenced yard, can you afford to build one?
- Is a lot of landscaping or gardening good or bad?
Checkout our Lesson Finding Cash for Fixup for tips on finding money to complete projects.
- Do you like or dislike basements?
- How many bedrooms/den/office space you’ll need?
- Are there floorplans or styles that you dislike?
- How many bathrooms will you need over the time you’ll own the home? Consider kids, roommates and overnight visitors.
- Can you afford to do cosmetic work such as carpet and paint?
- Do you like or dislike a wood stove or fireplace?
Thinking of buying a home in the Portland, Oregon area? Checkout our First Time Home Buyer Classes!
Be sure to go through our Lesson Why You Must Divide Your Wants vs Needs.Create Your Wish List for a House,
Choose a state from the drop-down menu for specific state information related to this lesson.
Your email address and personal information are confidential and will not be sold or rented by Fearless Homebuyer.